Newsletter – Issue 51 – February 2023
The OpenChain Newsletter provides a monthly summary of our work. It contains an overview of what we are doing to build trust around license compliance and security in the open source supply chain. This is a community newsletter, so we accept suggestions and ideas, and you can contact us by mail at any time.
Cool Statistic To Start The Year
The OpenChain Project now has 10 official third-party certifiers for our license compliance and security assurance standards.
You can now get third-party certified with ISO/IEC 5230 or the OpenChain Security Assurance Specification 1.1 anywhere in the world… and you have plenty of choice about who to work with. Of course, you have options when adopting our standards. The most common thing is actually for companies to start with self-certification, so if you are new to this… Learn more here)
Nice Outreach News
OpenChain now has a Wikipedia page about ISO/IEC 5230. Huge thank you to Marc-Etienne Vargenau at Nokia for making this happen.
Huge Revamp Of OpenChain Material Underway
Our reference library of over 1,000 documents to help you learn about our standards, train people or suppliers around open source, get policy templates, self-certification checklists and more has been totally overhauled. It is now easier to find material, easier to share material and easy to translate material.
We have also dramatically improved our community calendar to make it much easier to find our events, webinars and more.
ISO/IEC 5230:2020 Conformance
Yes Security and Panx Project announced adoption of our ISO/IEC standard for open source license compliance via the OpenChain website. Both companies self-certified. Yes Security is the first company from Brazil to announce conformance via our website. Well done!
It was an exciting month for us on the partner side of things. First of all, we had OSPOCO and Taylor English Join The OpenChain Partner Program, and we had TIMETOACT GROUP Offer Open Source Certification Based On ISO/IEC 5230. However, the banner headline (as mentioned in the cool statistic section of this newsletter) is that we now have 10 official third-party certifiers around the world.
OpenChain Meetings And Events
Lots of recordings and minutes for those catching up this month.
Our global calls – where we edit the next generations of the license compliance and security assurance standards:
- OpenChain Monthly Meeting (North America – Europe) – 2023-02-07
- OpenChain Monthly Meeting (North America and Asia) 2023-02-21
Other community meetings:
- OpenChain Telco Special Interest Group – 2023-02-02
- OpenChain Japan Work Group Meeting #26 (Hybrid #1) – 2023-02-09
- OpenChain Education Work Group Meeting 2023-02-09
- OpenChain OSPO Subgroup Meeting / TODO Local Meetup Minutes 2023-02-10
- OpenChain OSPO Subgroup Meeting / TODO Local Meetup Minutes – 2023-02-17
- OpenChain Germany OpenChain Germany – LF Training Courses Translation Project 2024-02-24
On the “external collaboration” side of things we had an OSS Compliance in 2022 / 2023 event co-organized with FOSSID. We were also featured with a speech and Q&A session at an OpenAnolis Standardization SIG Meeting in China at the invitation of Alibaba.
This month we had two webinars. One covered new security tools and one unpacked fascinating data points around GPLv2 licensing. Did you know there have been 40 versions of the GPLv2 published on its official websites and there have been 12 different versions found in the Linux Kernel? Definitely a webinar to watch if you are interested in the licensing side of things.
- Automation Case Study #7 – VulnerableCode technical deep dive into VulnTotal
- OpenChain Webinar #48 – GPLv2 Licensing History
Want to join our calls? Watch our webinars? Just check out our global calendar.
Training Material In The Supply Chain
Last month we mentioned that Continental Corporation made LFC193 a required course for their software developers from late Q3 2022. Since then we had two other soft announcements from community members about their adoption.
For those wanting a sample of what’s on the community calendar for March…
- Coming Soon: OpenChain Webinar #49 – FOSDEM Recap – 2023-03-06
- Coming Soon: OpenChain Japan – OSPO Local Meetup – 2023-03-10 and 2023-03-24
- Coming Soon: OpenChain Export Control Work Group – Third Meeting – 2023-03-07
- Coming Soon: OpenChain Korea Work Group Meeting @ Line Plus – 2023-03-28
- Coming Soon: OpenChain UK Work Group Meeting @ BBC – 2023-03-28
- Coming Soon: OpenChain Germany Work Group Meeting – 2023-03-30
Finally… If You Want To Talk About OpenChain…
Our new community education slides are now available. You will find a full overview of the project here and speaker notes to help you talk about what we do.
Check Out All Our Previous Newsletters:
- Participate in our community mailing lists, calls, events and more (for free)
- Adopt OpenChain ISO/IEC 5230 (license compliance) or the Security Assurance Specification
- Get reference material, training material and other support
- Connect with official partners for commercial support services
- Learn more about our background and stakeholders
Legal: All trademarks belong to their respective owners. This newsletter is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0).