OpenChain Webinar #51 featured an update on ClearlyDefined by Nick Vidal at the Open Source Initiative (OSI). A lot has happened since we last covered this project for open source metadata, including the move to a new home at OSI.
About The Project
ClearlyDefined and its parent organization, the Open Source Initiative, are on a mission to help FOSS projects thrive by being clearly defined. Lack of clarity around licenses and security vulnerabilities reduces engagement – that means fewer users, fewer contributors and a smaller community.
As such, the goals of the project are to:
- Raise awareness about this challenge within FOSS project teams
- Automatically harvest data from projects
- Make it easy for anyone to contribute missing information
- Crowd-source the curation of these contributions
- Feed curated contributions back to the original projects